H. V. Dalling was a Woodstock jeweller, optician, and owner of Dalling’s jewellery store, which was located on Main Street on the site of the present (1990) Pantry Shop. He was the watch inspector for the Canadian Pacific Railway, and is also remembered for manufacturing the first two telephones in Woodstock, which he placed in his store and in his home.
Horace Victor Dalling was born in Richmond on February 5, 1854, to Thomas M. (1820-1894) and Matilda Jane (Gray) (1825-1905) Dalling. His father was a Presbyterian farmer whose family had been in the area for nearly a century. In 1878 H. V. moved to Woodstock and established his business. In 1879 he married Mary Isabella McKilligan, daughter of John (1807-1890) and Catherine (1827-1908) McKilligan of Simonds. The couple lived on Richmond St. until March 15, 1910, when they moved into the “Shea House” on Prince Albert Street. In 1990 this house is still standing at 106 Prince Albert. Mrs. Dalling died on June 7, 1927. Mr. Dalling continued to run his store until 1929, when he retired because of ill health. His daughter, Edith, ran the store until his death on January 9, 1931.
H. V. and his wife had four children. The first, Clifford, was born on March 4, 1880. At some point he moved to Saskatchewan where in Regina he married “Josie” on February 24, 1908. On December 15, 1948, he left from Saskatoon and was apparently never heard from again. On March 19, 1909, Josie returned to Woodstock, and on June 21, 1909, their son Orville was born. In May of 1917, Josie died from tuberculosis. Orville lived with his grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. H. V. Dalling, for a time, then went to Orono, Maine, to live with the Shatney family. He was later married and had at least two children. In 1969 it was he who donated the contents of this collection from the estate of his aunt, Miss Edith Dalling.
The second child of Mr. and Mrs. H. V. Dalling was Estella B. who was born on November 5, 1881. On September 30, 1907, “Stella” was married to Allison Osceola “Oley” Townsend. The couple lived on Maple Street in Woodstock until August 28, 1908. On March 15, 1907, Stella, along with her mother, Mrs. H. V. Dalling, helped to institute the Woodstock Branch of the Rebekah Lodge No. 44. At some point, either before or after their marriage, her husband served with the Woodstock Fire Department. On July 17, 1911, Stella died of tuberculosis.
William “Billie” Victor DaIIing was born to Mr. and Mrs. H. V. Dalling on April 25, 1885. In 1911 he left for Toronto to work with the large jewellery firm of Ryrie Bros. In February of 1915 he enlisted with the 13th C. F. A. No. 83473, and in May of that year went with them to France. He was wounded there on October 13, 1916. After operations in England and Canada he was at Fredericton waiting for his discharge when he contracted pneumonia. He died on October 19, 1928.
The youngest child of the Dalling family was Edith Pauline Dalling, who was born on December 19, 1888. She worked in her father’s store and ran it after his retirement. She was active in the Presbyterian church, and sang in the choir. In August 1963, she suffered a stroke. Her nephew, Orville Dalling, had power of attorney, and donated the contents of this collection to the Carleton County Historical Society from her estate. Edith Dalling died in December of 1963.
CONTENT: The breadth of material found in this collection, especially the photographic material, provides a look at life in Woodstock during the late 1800s and early 1900s. It deals much more with the personal history of the Dalling family than with the business of the Dalling jewellery store.